Building & contents insurance in Mallorca
Building insurancesand home insurancesin Mallorca and in Spain include in the same policy several risks that protect the insured in case of material damages. In this way, we find coverage for property damage (e.g. fire, robbery) and civil liability in the same policy. Any property in Spain, be it a primary or secondary residence, a rented property or a property rented out for tourism, can be exposed to risks. The structure of the building and the furniture and household items (contents) inside can be affected. As an owner, landlord or tenant, you can protect yourself from these risks with buildings and contents insurance in Spain.
Bohemia will advise you competently on taking out insurance for your main and secondary residence: We bring a lot of experience to the analysis of the type of house, the location and the recommended protective measures. We will be happy to assist you in evaluating the building and its contents (furniture, household effects, valuables, etc.). Below we present a range of possible coverages for your future home contents insurance. Depending on your needs and requirements, we will work with you to select the best insurance proposal for you.
Tailored to your needs
What cover is available with buildings & contents insurance?
- Natural hazards
- Damage to the building caused by flood, rain, hail or snow. Weather-related broken windows and damaged roof. No problem at all.
- Water damage
- Water damage A radiator drips and damages the floor. Damage to the insured goods is covered.
- Total loss (complete building collapse)
- Your house in Ibiza collapses because of renovation work in the neighbouring house. Buildings insurance and home insurance in Spain will pay you to repair your home.
- Electrical damage
- An electrical appliance breaks down because of a power surge. Cover is provided for the electrical damage caused up to the sum insured.
- Theft / burglary / vandalism
- Your home in Mallorca is broken into and money or jewellery is stolen from the safe. Your buildings and contents insurance provides cover for the insured property up to 100% of the sum insured.
- Theft of special valuables
- Your home is broken into and an antique vase is stolen. You will be reimbursed for the insured capital.
- Robbery outside the home
- You, your partner or your children are mugged in the street. You are covered for the insured capital and up to € 150 if cash is stolen from you.
- Breakage of glass panes, glass and sanitaryware parts
- The kitchen worktop breaks. You are covered for the costs of a new worktop, its delivery and installation.
- Third party liability
- You cause damage to third parties in an accident. Your building and contents insurance will make payments, deposits or legal fees for you.
- Legal protection
- If you are involved in a court case, your insurance will cover court and lawyer’s fees up to the insured amount.
- Cosmetic repairs to the building
- If tiles in the bathroom break due to a water leak, they will be replaced. If the same tiles cannot be found, the insurance company of the building and contents insurance looks for the most similar tiles.
- There is a fire or explosion in your home in Spain. Coverage of l00% is provided for the resulting damage.
- Excessive water consumption
- A pipe bursts and the water leakage significantly increases your water bill. You will be paid the difference to the usual consumption.
- Decorative repairs to the contents
- A leak in the ceiling destroys your bed. Repair or replacement is covered by the insurance.
- Furniture on the terrace and in the garden
- If hail damages the garden furniture, the insurance will pay you for a new one.
- Vandalism by the tenants
- A tenant damages the kitchen cupboards. Your building insurance and home insurance in Mallorca will take care of the repair.
- Spoilage of food in the refrigerator
- Food spoils in the refrigerator due to a power failure. The sum insured provides cover for the spoiled food.
- Pipe emptying costs without damage
- If a pipe becomes blocked, a specialist will come to your home to repair it.
- Comprehensive accident insurance
- A wall shelf comes loose and various objects are broken. Your insurance takes care of the damage.
- Assistance 24 hours
- A window breaks or a water pipe bursts. You can count on assistance 24 hours a day.
- Temporary uninhabitability
- Your home on the Balearic Islands becomes uninhabitable. While it is being restored, the rent for a flat suitable for your home will be covered.
- Loss of rent
- You suffer loss of rent as a result of a claim. You will be covered for a maximum of 6 months up to 15% of the sum insured for the building. sum insured for the building for the loss of rent during this period.
- Computer assistance service
- If you have a problem with your PC, you can request help to fix it online. Otherwise, a computer scientist will be sent to your home.
- All-rounder service at home
- If you need to assemble a piece of furniture or replace a tap, a specialist will come to your home and do it for you.
What do we mean by building contents insurance in Spain?
The building insuranceand household insurance in Mallorca and in Spain i is the insurance with which the owner or owner of a house wants to protect himself against the risks of damage of various kinds: fire, natural hazards, electrical short circuits, burst pipes, household accidents, storms, robberies, theft & burglary, loss of rent, and much more. These insurances also cover civil damage that may be caused to other persons or their property by the dwelling, such as falling objects from windows or balconies, flooding on lower floors, etc.
Why take out buildings and contents insurance in Mallorca?
Your home is probably the biggest investment of your life and also the place where you spend most of your time. Don’t you think it’s worth carefully analysing the different options to choose the most suitable insurance? Home insurance is the one that offers you a higher insured value and greater coverage at a low cost. In recent years, most companies have greatly enhanced their home insurance policies by expanding the existing coverage and adding numerous coverages and benefits that were not previously considered. If your home insurance in Mallorca is more than 4 years old, you may be paying more than necessary or have less cover!
Features: Home contents insurance in Spain protects your possessions as well as your family and pets living in the house, both inside and outside the property. Home contents insurance also covers damage caused to third parties. Therefore, it is very important to precisely determine the sums insured explained below. Bohemia Mallorca can offer you products from the best Spanish insurance companies. We will be happy to help you with your selection, including other insurances such as private health insurance in Mallorca, car insurance, pet insurance, legal protection insurance for the self-employed and cyber insurance in Spain.
Calculating the value of the building To determine the value that you should assign to the building, the insurance companies for building insurance and home insurance in Mallorca usually start from the built-up area of the house. For a building of average construction, this value ranges between € 1,000 and € 2,000 per square metre. It is also important not to ignore the minimum value suggested by the insurance company. If you insure less than the corresponding value, you are underinsured and in case of a partial loss, the company will pay compensation in proportion to the insured value.
The building is the totality of the building elements and structure of a house, which includes the roof, floor, walls and all structural elements. The value of the building stated in the building and contents insurance should correspond to the reconstruction value of the property. The reconstruction value is the cost of rebuilding the building in the event of a total loss. The calculation depends on the quality of the materials, the type of construction of the property, the year of construction or date of the last renovation and the size (m2).
The contents (household effects) The contents are the sum of the domestic and/or private goods owned by the family unit. This includes all the items we have in our home (electrical appliances, furniture, clothing, items for personal use, jewellery and items of special value, etc.). These constitute the household effects. If we decide to insure the household effects, we have to give a value to the insurance companies. This is of crucial importance. This is because we are underinsured if the entire household contents are insured for less than the replacement value of the items actually in the home. In these cases, the company will only compensate on a pro-rata basis to the insured value. Other aspects to be considered are jewellery, cash and items of special value, as they are subject to special treatment.
Personal liability insurance This buildings and contents insurance in Mallorca covers the civil liability for damage caused by the insured, his family, the animals he owns or the goods he possesses, whether it is a flat or a house, always in the context of his private life. Personal liability insurance covers the damage that may be caused by the acts or omissions of the policyholder as well as the persons living in the household (including pets). Two examples that underline the case for liability insurance in building contents insurance. Note that the liability insurance of your household contents insurance also covers possible personal injuries.
- A burst pipe has happened in our flat on Mallorca, causing flooding of the floor below.
- A flower pot accidentally falls out of the window onto the street and a person is physically injured as a result.
Legal expenses insurance is a guarantee offered by the insurer to cover the costs incurred by the insured person in participating in legal or administrative proceedings. Its main purpose is to defend the individual against claims or problems by amicable or legal means.
Rent Renting is an advantageous alternative that gives many people independence. However, it also means a great deal of responsibility for a property that belongs to someone else. If you live in a rented house or flat, it is very important to take out household insurance in Mallorca. The aim and purpose is to protect both your property and yourself from damage that you can cause in the property you live in.
If one of your items (e.g. a radiator) catches fire and the house burns down, you (as a tenant) would be responsible for the fire. Therefore, we highly recommend that you take out household insurance in Spain if you live in a rented house. Home contents insurance for tenants has a very low premium (price) and you can live much more relaxed.
Tourist rental The rental of accommodation for tourists has increased significantly in recent years. For this reason, many people have decided to purchase a property in order to offer it on the holiday rental market and thus earn an income. If a property is only rented out for short periods, special buildings and contents insurance is required. This provides comprehensive insurance cover adapted to the use and needs. Please bear in mind that damage to the property, to the tenants and even to third parties can occur during the rental period.
The most important aspect of buildings and contents insurance for holiday rentals in Mallorca is mainly the liability included. In the event of damage of any kind caused to third parties, the insurance company will pay out the corresponding compensation. In addition, this insurance includes other very interesting benefits, such as legal protection. We will be happy to advise you further on this.
- Fire, explosion, light, water damage, damage caused by vandalism or intentional acts.
- Flood, rain, hail, snow, broken window panes, broken sanitary ware.
- Theft by force and robbery in the home.
- Other expenses for salvage.
- Liability cover
- Repair service, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, plus a handyman service.
- Family legal protection.
- IT service.
- Legal protection for e-commerce.
- Extension of cover to robbery with violence, assault and theft.
- Extension to glass breakage: plexiglass furniture, glass ceramic hobs, glass in solar panels and glass elements in electrical appliances.
- Aesthetic restoration of building & household contents.
- Restoration of the garden.
- Replanting of trees.
- Damage to refrigerated goods.
- Damage to garden furniture.
- Excessive water consumption.
- Complete building collapse.
- Accidental spillage of liquids other than water.